30-Dec-2017 written by : FSI-Team
Keeping a tab on your credit score is the key to financial security and easy loan approvals, etc.
To create awareness about the credit reports and help people realize the importance of their credit profile, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has asked all the credit information bureaus to offer one free CIBIL report or credit report per year to all individuals who have a credit history.
The majority of top credit rating bureaus allow their customers to apply for and download their credit reports online. However, if you are facing a problem with the process, then there are many ways to deal with it.
First, let's take a look at the standard process for obtaining a free CIBIL report:
1. Visit https://www.cibil.com/freecibilscore which is the official website page of CIBIL and make sure you have selected the "I want my free CIBIL score and report" option.
2. Enter your personal details and other details such as e-mail address, PAN, income etc. Mark the checkbox at the bottom that says you agree with CIBIL's terms and conditions for the process.
3. Now, you now need to answer a few questions that are based on your loans and credit cards. This is to authenticate your profile.
4. If the verification step is completed successfully, CIBIL will send you an email that will contain your login credentials for its website. It will also send you a control number that can be used for all future communications with the CIBIL.
5. Using the login credentials you can access your account and check/download your CIBIL report in the PDF format.
It's natural to be worried when you are unable to obtain your credit report for whatever reason because your credit profile affects your home loan interest rate, the limit on your credit cards, and a lot more. However, panicking never helps.
The following are some of the things you can look into if you are having problems with obtaining your report:
1. The first thing you need to check is whether you had applied for the report in the same calendar year before as well. This is because you can get only one free report per year.
If this is the first time you are applying for your report for the calendar year, then the reason you didn't get it could be perhaps because of some technical problem, which takes us to the next point-
2. Although you should get an email within seconds after completing the procedure given above, sometimes it may take longer because of server issues. So, you should wait for at least for 30-60 minutes before jumping to any conclusion.
3. Authentication is an important step of the report fetching process. So, if you have failed the test, then you have to upload your KYC complaint documents by visiting https://www.cibil.com/kyc-upload.
CIBIL will check your documents and send the login details to your mailing address post verification. However, you will need to wait for about a week or so before the login details reach you.
Note: If your KYC documents don't meet CIBIL's requirements, then you will be notified via email as well as SMS and asked to submit the required documents.
As mentioned earlier, you can get only one credit report per year. So, if you need to check it again to get an attractive home loan interest rate, or personal loan interest rate, etc. then you can get it for a small fee.
CIBIL offers paid credit report for Rs.400 to Rs. 500 each. However, you can also purchase a pack of multiple reports for a lower price.
You can apply for a quarterly subscription (for 4 reports per year) for Rs. 1,200 or a bi-annual subscription (2 reports per year) for Rs. 800.
The benefit of these subscriptions is that you also get additional services for credit monitoring via your CIBIL account.
You can purchase a CIBIL subscription by visiting https://www.cibil.com/creditscore/.